Moral Contradictions

Friday, April 08, 2005

Update on Shaun Kenney and the 54th

What started this teapot tempest? I was glancing through some posts on FredTalk, something I've only just started doing. I grew up in Fredericksburg and try to keep up with what's going on. I noticed some criticism of Shaun Kenney, noted that he was a member, found that all of his posts were deleted, and read his blog at his website. Immediately my "contradiction alarms" went off.

Quoting a person on FredTalk who assembled some of his favorite Shaun Kenney quotes rightfully invited criticism of context and flow of conversation bias. Hence, my second post I tried to clear any perceived spin and look at words straight from the source. I drew my questions and concerns straight from an original posting and compared it to what others were saying about him and what he is now saying as part of his campaign. Those original posts came from him and him only and were not influenced by the conversation that ensued. Here is a followup along those lines...


Who exactly is he appealing to in this campaign (I ask again!)? He wrote that SB 1338 is a slap to "people of faith"... what if I consider myself a person of faith and yet this doesn't offend me? How many other people with those views are out there? My original beef with his comment and my beef with many politicians (and a large reason why this blog was started) is painting all Christians as right-wingers willing to vote for anyone criticizing abortion, homosexual issues, etc. (An aside that is all to common in this blog: Who and what did Jesus exert all of his efforts and time with? Oh yeah, the poor, the disabled, the sick... Vote for Jesus!)

I want to investigate further but I cannot because the posts are gone. Shaun responded and said that it simply stopped being fun and questioned my skeptism of the timing. Why do the posts say "Deleted by Brian"? I have more questions than answers at the point and I simply want to balance out the truth. He also granted me an online interview, but let me state here that I cannot submit questions and post an accurate record of that interview without first looking at his posts. (and no Shaun, I've tried Google and Archive.org and the result is still the same... the forum is scripted and the posts are still deleted. Please open them up again like you said you would if there was a clamor for it.)

Remember, he posted an average of 11 times a day for over 2 years. Accordingly, people on that forum are familiar with him. From glancing at some threads he was a part of over the last 2 years and some comments people are making now, I have questions. Some of the stuff he apparently wrote and what people are writing about him now is pretty radical and lively debate seems to always follow. I merely want to see what he wrote and wonder why and how he drew such criticism from people.

If he posted only a handful of times over the past few years, big deal... I'd more than likely write it off. I might have one or two questions if I saw a difference between then and now, but the sheer bulk of posts he made and the controversy that seemed to ensue is worth investigating. Apparently he won some people over within the forums and he turned other people off. I want to see why and how this happened, and I want to compare it with what he is saying now.

Ask for him to open up his posts and hold him to what he has said in the past. I cannot say it enough... we can only primarily focus on the threads he initiated, because those posts came straight from his head and hard and were not influenced by "forum trolls" or the discussion thereafter.

Edit: Read the other posts on this topic:

Remember the 54th! Or something...
The 54th and a chopping block
Update on the 54th primary
Beating the old (54th) horse
Kenney and his promises - 5/5/05

6 Comments:

  • When a FredTalk account is suspended it was the policy that all posts of that account would be deleted. My assumption is that Brian is a moderator for the FredTalk boards. The opening of the posts may not be up to him, I don't know.

    But I will say kudos for wanting to see the true posts instead of just the out of context quotes before moving forward.

    By Blogger Jason Kenney, at Friday, April 08, 2005 10:46:00 AM  

  • Think about this. Kenney went to FredTalk preaching tolerance on both ends of the spectrum without apologizing for his stance against homosexuality as a Catholic, and let's face it, some folks don't like to hear that. Are we really arguing that SB 1338 is a good bill, but people who say they can agree to disagree on the matter are bad people? Yeah, let's hit him on being open minded and Catholic based on rehashed second hand info right after the pope dies. Smart, real smart guys.

    You just have a bunch of wackos who can't pigeon hole Kenney, so they're all upset. Big deal. Judging from how these idiots are acting, I'd have my comments removed too. Let's stick to real issues. He's anti-choice and against tax reform. Hit him on those. This whole thing might seem sexy, but it's not. That it comes from anonymous sources isn't good either.

    If this is the best we can do against him, we're in trouble. Those idiots on FredTalk only give him votes.

    JV

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, April 08, 2005 10:55:00 AM  

  • Nathan, you wrote:

    Who exactly is he appealing to in this campaign (I ask again!)? He wrote that SB 1338 is a slap to "people of faith"...

    It's a quote from the Family Foundation, not Kenney.

    JV

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, April 08, 2005 11:56:00 AM  

  • JV,

    I don't know exactly what was said on FredTalk and cannot accurately analyize it one way or the other, because they are deleted. Thus whatever I say will have some level of questionability because I cannot accurately verify myself (unless I do some sleuthing and do what I did with my last post "Chopping Block" and find a post where his original was quoted).

    Hence, this post asked why did he lump "people of faith" as being offended by this law. Whether this law is good or not or where the source of his quote came from, either his mouth or the Family Foundation or whatever, he posted the quote on his blog and did not discourage anyone from assuming that he agreed with it. He further wrote that his opponent voted "wrong" and that it was "anti-family".

    I'm a Christian and I'm a Baptist and I consider myself fairly open-minded... apparently so does Kenney. I'm not necessarily offended, but I was just pigeon-holed. Yet to a voter reading his blog, Kenney doesn't appear open-minded. Compared to what little posts I can dig up and the small percentage of that I can fairly use, they seem to run contradictory to what he is saying now.

    Kenney responded directly to my posts, but how can I verify what he's saying without the FredTalk posts? If they really aren't that relevant, let me and you and everyone else interested in the race make that call.

    Essentially, it's all about perception... who is he really? Does that go against the picture he's trying to paint for the voters of the 54th? Suspension of his FredTalk account conveniently allows him to start with a clean slate.

    Jason,

    Thanks for the clarification. Thanks also for pointing out the "context" issue, which I believe I fairly used in the second post "The 54th and a chopping block". Once again, I contend that original posts have no context, except under the category they are listed, whether it was "Morality", "Religion", or "Politics", his 3 favorite forums. They came straight from him unless he pulled a Tim Burton and spent months training squirrels.

    By Blogger Nathan, at Friday, April 08, 2005 1:09:00 PM  

  • Let's read what we do have.

    Kenney wrote:
    In short, I am not writing to defend a morality of homosexual conduct. What I am saying is that homosexuals are indeed a part of today's American framework, and rather than slinging Bible verses at them we should be engaging in a more respectful tone that doesn't revert to namecalling or ignorance - and that goes for both sides.

    Anyone here have a problem with that? I mean, read what he wrote. These people took offense to that?! They're trying to make a mountain out of a molehill, and there's not even a mole.

    Kenney is anti-tax, anti-choice, and he's not running away from saying "homosexuality is immoral". I can disagree with him on that, but I don't have to go through all this nonsense about posts being deleted to prove the point that he's a conservative.

    Think about it. If pointing out he's open minded is their definition of having something to hide, it's no small wonder no one is worried about this. It's a poor argument and it is not smart.

    JV

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, April 08, 2005 4:14:00 PM  

  • Heard about this thread - if you're really interested in what Shaun said, stop over by FredTalk on the Fredericksburg.com web site, where there's a lively discussion going on about what has been deleted.

    Link to one interesting post -
    http://fredtalk.fredericksburg.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=697077&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&vc=1

    There's a whole thread in this vein.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, May 02, 2005 7:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home