Moral Contradictions

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

And da Senate go boom

For some further proof that Congress is full of hyprocrites on both side of the aisle, I direct you to this post over at Daily Kos which details how Republicans defeated several nominations by denying an "up-or-down" majority vote.

In 1995, because Republicans didn't like President Clinton's nominee for Surgeon General, Harry W. Foster, Jr, 43 Republicans denied the nomination.

Again Sam Brown was defeated for the rank of Ambassador by 42 Republicans.

How? They denied cloture... or the close of debate so they could proceed to a vote.

Among those still in the Senate who turned down these nominations despite a Democratic majority are John McCain, Trent Lott, Orrin Hatch, Rick Santorum, and Arlen Specter among others.

My point? Don't buy the rhetoric on either side? Do your own research and decide which group of hyprocrites you want to support.

In the end, President Bush's 95% approval rating for his judicial nominations is outstanding.

For a little more on the history of this issue, read "Where was the WSJ when Republicans were blocking Clinton nominees? On the side of obstruction"

1 Comments:

  • Hello Nathan! I was in the midst of reading this well written piece when I received the email notice of Chad's snipe at my blog and had to go and take care of that. [I just got the alert that YOU have posted at my blog, ** dramatic sigh** oh the life of an internet diva! LOL!]

    Your piece is VERY well written! and I can find nothing of any import that I can disagree with. Keep up the good work my new friend!

    Now... back home to see what you have written and to respond to that... please check back at my place in about 20 minutes or so... these old arthritic fingers don't type as fast as they used to!

    Julie Johnson

    By Blogger JulieDee, at Wednesday, May 18, 2005 11:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home