Moral Contradictions

Friday, May 27, 2005

Pictures are worth millions of my ramblings...



Source

As a nation, we must accept the consequences of our actions. As more reports come out confirming that the intelligence leading us to war was "cooked" along with President Bush's subtle suggestions that Iraq played a part of 9/11, we need to look at these pictures and re-examine ourselves.

Is this a just war? Were we "invited" like the President's spokesman would have you believe? Have we really accomplished our mission? Do we really have an exit strategy? If the answer to all of these is yes, then I'll be quiet. However, if there's any doubt, I reserve my democratic freedom of speech to ask questions.

Additionally we must make policies that make this country something worth fighting for. Folks trying to use the government to force their narrow and extreme beliefs on me does not make me love my country any more. Laws that are passed that systematically hurt lower income folks don't allow me to love it anymore than I do. Torturing detainees yet still claiming moral superiority does not sit well with me or my faith.

Shrinking the Veteran's Affairs budget to strip away benefits from our retired military personnel doesn't seem like the right thing to do.

We can't just focus on foreign policy, else it's used as a diversion and smoke screen to distract us from our internal problems and realities.

God, please be with our country and our troops.

2 Comments:

  • God be with all of us. I certainly agree that our country and troops deserve our prayers. However, I hope your prayers include supplication for those oppressed and downtrodden, including those who live in countries where our troops are considered the oppressors.

    Good post.

    By Blogger r.johnson, at Friday, May 27, 2005 3:08:00 PM  

  • Most definitely my prayers include that sentiment. I believe we are all caught up with just our country at the expense of the world, for good or bad, so I do sincerely thank you for pointing that out.

    By Blogger Nathan, at Friday, May 27, 2005 3:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home