Moral Contradictions

Monday, June 06, 2005

Proof that Kansas is truly batty

Kansas is beautiful. I've traveled all over it hunting for storms. However, I'm not sure my wife and I would want to live there. Why?

She may not be allowed to vote.

Okay, that's a little too strong since there is a Constitutional Amendment allowing women's suffrage. Yet, State Senator Kay O'Connor gained national attention in 2001 for saying this:

"I think the 19th Amendment, while it's not an evil in and of itself, is a symptom of something I don't approve of," she said at the time. "The 19th Amendment is around because men weren't doing their jobs, and I think that's sad. I believe the man should be the head of the family. The woman should be the heart of the family."


Basically, she linked the decline of "family values" or "moral values" in this nation to allowing women to vote.

Better yet, she wants to be the Kansas' Secretary of State, a position which involves overseeing state-wide elections.

I wonder... if women shouldn't be allowed to vote, should they be allowed to hold office?

By my logic, the logic widely known as "common sense", I think I know the answer: She needs to immediately step down, and either work on being the "heart" of her family or go into therapy.

Thank you Kansas for giving me another reason to shake my head at that state of my nation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home