Moral Contradictions

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Bad news...

I didn't get a chance to tape the Coral Ridge Hour this weekend... I only have rabbit ears with my television and I wasn't here both times the show came on to record or watch the program. I'm going to try to arrange it so I can tape the show at someone else's house... we'll see.

On a different note, earlier today I was listening to Richmond, VA's 1140am WRVA , our fair city's right-wing talk radio... wow. There was an advertisement for some show and they played a snippet from a caller. He said something in favor of reparations for slavery. This could possibly be a very touchy subject in the former capital of the Confederacy, a Monument Avenue full of CSA generals, and minorities make up the majority of the population, at least within city limits, where I am.

The radio host had many different arguments against slavery reparations and I may have agreed with some, if not most. The come-back? "Your forefathers worked for free for over 200 years, and you want to get paid?" The ad then ended and the station another played.

Wow.

Note, some additional info about where I live. A statue of President Lincoln was proposed and promptly protested. Once installed it was protested again, albeit smaller numbers. My wife and I had a contract on a house within a school district in Hanover County where the middle school and mascot are named the Stonewall-Jackson Rebels and the high school is the Lee-Davis Confederates. That contract fell through and we will live in a different district with local names, but neighbors down the street fly the Rebel battle flag in the front and back of their house.

The Civil War is daily fought and re-fought, political correctness, sensitivity, and true knowledge of the past be damned.

I've heard the notion that Richmond is about 15 years behind everyone else... Maybe we haven't progressed as far as I originally thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home