Moral Contradictions

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

The government can solve some problems...

The Religious Right Watch blog, I must say, is excellent. A recent entry titled Steve Noble: rising star of Christian Right, gives a summary of a profile article of this rising star.

The last bit of the articles says something I've heard many times:

But Noble, like many evangelicals, is not too worried about causes such as poverty. He thinks the problem can be addressed if the two parties, Republican and Democratic, become better stewards of national resources. Like many evangelicals, he says traditional family values take precedence over everything else.

"Society won't crumble based on tax policy or housing policy or even welfare policy," he said. "These aren't foundational issues. It's what you do with life, what you do with your family. You destroy those, and you destroy society."

That's great, but what's wrong with working on both? Why rely on the government to do God's work? Why identify with the political party that houses the "Free Market/hands off" ideology? If the government isn't to touch the free market and the overall goal is to limit the size of government, why throw this responsibility on its back?

Additionally, isn't that belief just an excuse for ignoring our true call in favor of exclusively focusing on family issues? Jesus didn't call our government... He called us.

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger andyou invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me...

Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'"
(Matthew 25:35-36, 41-43)

I don't mean to belittle family issues, but Christians send a nasty signal to non-believers when we purposely ignore poverty in light of persecuting homosexuals to further family values. If we want to truly change society, we must pick up the entire cross and demonstrate our love instead of projecting intolerance and ignoring social problems.

We cannot selectively pick and choose the parts of Scripture that happen to line up with our own personal beliefs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home