Moral Contradictions

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

South Carolina's at it again

A Christian group that believes President Bush has been too soft on abortion and homosexuality hopes to move like-minded believers to up-state South Carolina. The name: Christian Exodus. The purpose: Concentrate enough like-minded people in one place to influence first local politics and then state politics. An option: Secession.

Yes, you read that correctly. Secession. Only if it's not "ugly and bloody, nobody wants that."

They boast 500 members, but only a couple of families have actually moved. The group will hold a conference in Greenville, SC in mid-October.

The Rev. Tony Romo, pastor of South Point Baptist Church in Pelzer, said his church will hold a "leadership meeting" for Christian Exodus on Oct. 16.

"Some people think it's some kind of whacked-out religious invasion. It's not that at all," he said.

"These folks who are moving in, they're not really coming here to take over. They're coming to augment what's here."


Leola Robinson, a member of the Greenville County school board, agrees. She noted that like-minded folks have already moved to the area, just not part of a formal organization.

But history shows it can be dangerous when people organize under the banner of religion to try to impose their political will, she said.

"We're not some backwater town that can be influenced and manipulated to achieve some goal that perhaps even the promoters don't fully understand," she said.

The article quotes the Rev. Tony Beam, director of the Christian Worldview Center at North Greenville College and a radio show host as saying that "Christian conservatives should work within their own communities."

"We still have the ability to effect change by bringing pressure to bear on representatives in Washington," he said. "It's just that we're not vigilant in getting that accomplished, and that's why we're frustrated."

I read that as "we should stay where we are, but... I don't necessarily disagree with this group's action."

Well, for what's worth, Afghanistan's former leaders and Iran's government could give the group some pointers.

As the Real Live Preacher says, when the state and church become enmeshed, it is bad for both of them.


Update: I checked out their website, (I won't link from here, it's in the article)... wow, the graphic and irony of the banner hurts my head.

4 Comments:

  • I take this as a good sign. The far Right Wing Christian Dominionists have given up on the entire country, and are making for a smaller target.

    By Blogger Monk-in-Training, at Tuesday, July 12, 2005 9:56:00 PM  

  • Hehe... Although their stated goal is duplicating this throughout the country, I will sleep easy after reading about their outstanding success so far.

    By Blogger Nathan, at Tuesday, July 12, 2005 10:00:00 PM  

  • hehe... I am one of the 'wackos' that has moved here from another state. I bought a house, I registered my vehicles, I paid my taxes, I have spent quite a bit of money into the local economy, I have had dinner with my neighbors, I have attended church services here, I work here, my kids will go to school here.

    What part of that is 'wacko'???

    And what about the 'wackos' who moved to San Francisco to infulence the government there?

    By Blogger radelster, at Tuesday, August 02, 2005 9:33:00 AM  

  • I think after the destruction and divisiveness of the Civil War, anyone associating themselves with South Carolina and the word "secession" deserves a head exam. :)

    Now, if you moved to Charleston, I could understand that... my wife and I went there for our honeymoon... that's a great place.

    Feel free to compare yourself to the types who move to San Francisco... I feel the same way about them as you do.

    By Blogger Nathan, at Tuesday, August 02, 2005 11:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home