Moral Contradictions

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

What did Jesus teach about love?

Whatever it was, it has apparently been lost on Russell D. Moore, Dean of Theology and Senior Vice President for Academic Administration at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. He wrote an essay titled "Why I'm Raising Violent 4 Year-Olds". (Thanks to Mainstream Baptist and Howie Luvzus for alerting me to this essay.)

I am not seeking to raise sons who are violent in the amoral, pagan sense of contemporary teenagers playing "Grand Theft Auto" video games or carjacking motorists. I want them to be more violent than that.


The Holy Scriptures are "blessedly violent bedtime stories they hear every day." But be rest assured that "I am not seeking to raise sons who are violent in the amoral, pagan sense of contemporary teenagers playing 'Grand Theft Auto' video games or carjacking motorists. I want them to be more violent than that."

When my wife and I have kids, I hope to teach them that being a Christian isn't easy and that baptism is just the beginning. I really don't wish to proclaim to all the world that I'm teaching them to be violent in the Crusade-like sense.

His justification is several verses in Revelations which refers to the cosmic battle that will be fought out by the "warrior-king". Not being entirely sure this theology will win converts (but rather lose some) I'll stick with following the example Jesus set on this earth and let Him fight the cosmic battles.

Combine this with the fact that the Library of Congress is including the Baptist Press war coverage in its permanent archive, no wonder some folks call the Southern Baptist Convention the "War Denomination".

As a further note, is there any wonder that non-denominational churches are growing?

Update: Beppe commented at Mainstream Baptist and posed this question: What if a Muslim Imam wrote this? What if he wrote that he was raising his 4 year olds to be violent because of the type of world we live in? How many folks from Russell Moore's side would condemn the "violent nature" of Islam?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home