Moral Contradictions

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Articles like this make me proud...

...to be an American. Yep.

Sigh.

As an American, I thought we were above this level:

They continued with two or three interrogations a month. They weren't really interrogations, more like training me what to say. The interrogator told me what was going on. "We're going to change your brain," he said.

I suffered the razor treatment about once a month for the remaining time I was in Morocco, even after I'd agreed to confess to whatever they wanted to hear. It became like a routine. They'd come in, tie me up, spend maybe an hour doing it. They never spoke to me. Then they'd tip some kind of liquid on me - the burning was like grasping a hot coal. The cutting, that was one kind of pain. The burning, that was another.

What has happened to the America I thought existed? I grew up with so much respect and love for my country, but nowadays I'm having a hard time finding examples which compel me to demonstrate my patriotism.

As a Christian, I'm appalled. I'd really like to hear someone thoughtfully and intellectually give me a justification for torture based on the entire Bible. Not just selective parts like "eye for an eye", but taking the whole thing in consideration. Because from my vantage point, it can't be done.

If we are to be a "Christian nation", we must act like it... in all instances. Just like we cannot focus on selective parts of the Bible and ignore the rest, we cannot seriously strive to be examples of Christianity by focusing on a couple of parts and ignoring contradictive and accompanying Biblical teachings.

Again, may I remind you the way Jesus was killed?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home