Moral Contradictions

Saturday, August 06, 2005

Coral Ridge Hour Watch (it's back!)

I've been meaning to follow through with covering the Coral Ridge Hour, but technology and time constraints all worked against me - until tonight.

The "speech" (not sermon, you'll soon learn why) was titled "The Root of the Problem". Here's the writeup:

I am now enlightened
College is the devil!
Raising God above us... in the typical box
You don't say?
Revisionist History
Perversion of Christianity
Final Critiques

I am now enlightened

I just found out what the root of most sin for the past few centuries and today – the teaching of evolution.

Yep, you read that right. Not the love of money, as the Bible teaches in 1st Timothy 6:10, nor the love of power. Evolution.

College is the devil!

Kennedy went on to attack colleges, saying that those who graduate leave without their faith… and if college doesn’t do it, graduate school certainly will destroy all sense of patriotism, nationalism, and faith in God. (Funny he lists his Ph.D. at the end of his name)

Want to know what the problem is with the Supreme Court? The majority are evolutionists. Kennedy asked rhetorical questions such as “Should the Bible be taught in the classroom?” and answered with “Nein”. Not “no”… but “nein”. He did this three times. Interesting.

Raising God above us... in the typical box

Why has evolution corrupted our society? Because of its teachings that man is simply a “twig”… that mankind happened by chance. Never mind the intelligent folks who read the Bible, read the evolution, recognize God’s majesty and our smallness, and conclude that we really don’t know what happened… never mind the ones who say that evolution possibly was the tool that God used. Never mind any sort of compromising thought. In Kennedy’s world, it’s one or the other. Black and white. You believe in creation or you believe in evolution. Period.

He went on to state that all early scientists were Christians. He subjected me and his congregation to a 3-minute detailed listing of the founders of various branches of science and how they were great men of faith. Ostensibly he was trying to prove how evolution perverted science and stripped it of it’s religious faith. I felt bad for the congregation because they had to endure the roll call without pictures… I felt bad for myself because it about put me to sleep.

You don't say?

He mentioned someone who spoke to his church a few years ago and made the “astounding” statement that Creationism isn’t science and shouldn’t be taught as such. Kennedy became very indignant at the thought. I then again realized that if I had any ounce of respect for the man, I lost it after that statement.

Throughout the sermon, he pounded the point that “this is what’s being taught to your children”. By attacking public school and higher education and painting evolution as the root of our current evils, he placed a siege mentality among his viewers and the congregation.

Revisionist History

He proceeded to say that racism is an evolutionary concept, mind you, as all 19th century evolutionists were racists. Excuse me, but evolution popped up in 1859… that whole slavery thing had been going on for just a few years. To say or explicitly imply that evolutionism spawned racism is false. To say it justified it is true, yet it merely accompanied the Bible as justification as well (that whole ‘slaves obey your master’ verse that was flaunted around for so long).

By the way, communism, fascism and Nazism are all borne from evolution. Did you know that? I didn’t. Never mind America’s runaway capitalism in the 19th century (child labor, extremely low wages, etc) or the West’s humiliation of Germany after the First World War as the possible impetus for the above ideologies. Evolution is the sole reason.

Perversion of Christianity

D. James Kennedy Ph.D then ended the sermon with a self-serving prayer and the show cut to just him. In a move that bewildered me, he issued an invitation to accept Jesus as Savior. I don’t quite get how you go from “Evolution sucks, evolution is evil, and evolution is the sole reason for today’s problem” and then connect that to an invitation. I personally believe acts like that cheapen the meaning of coming to Christ and what it is to accept and follow Him.

The show then provided a somewhat decent overview of the Scopes trial… yet then used that to hawk donations to help Kennedy fight the teaching of evolution with a gift of a book that claims to debunk evolution.

He began his conclusion with, “as we’ve seen in the Terri Schiavo case, human life has become cheap and expendable”. I’m not even going to comment on that quote, but I will say I turned the television off as I had enough.

The overriding message I got was “your children are being corrupted by the teachings of this inherently evil ‘theory’, please help me fight this and cure our society… and praise Jesus!” Obviously Dr. Kennedy and I have very different views of the Bible.

Final Critiques

  • This was definitely not “compassionate” conservatism. I’m not sure Kennedy is capable of smiling. He’s stone-cold, deadpan, and I get the impression that watching paint dry is near the top of his hobbies. A tone of arrogance seeped through at times; one can almost use the word “snide” to describe his demeanor.
  • He spoke in absolutes. I’ll give him credit, the overriding theme was predicated with “almost all sin is rooted in evolution”, but from there, the words “almost”, “nearly”, “most”, “all but a few”, and “some” weren’t mentioned. That black and white personality shined through yet again.
  • His congregation is quite old for a church… not to demean older folks, but in the wide shots, I saw mainly white hair and bald spots. While the choir sang, I saw only a few people who could be under the age of 40. From my limited vantage point, I guess the average age is 55, give or take a few years.
  • He started the sermon with 1 Corinthians 1:18-25. From then on he didn’t mention the Bible or refer to any other verses. For 25-30 minutes he railed against evolution. My humble opinion is that Scripture is powerful and not to be handled lightly… I believe he misused Scripture by taking his beliefs and then using the Bible to justify them. What happened to having an open mind and simply looking at what the Bible has to say? Oops, does that make me a “liberal” Christian?
  • - My pastor and my wife’s boss says that most people who come to church are just looking for a good word. They want to learn about Jesus, they want to know more about their faith, but they want to learn how to apply it to their daily lives. They seek hope and help to cope with the problems in their lives and the problems of the world. Dr. Kennedy seems to be of the philosophy that those who come to his church seek to listen to him on his soapbox. Instead of a good word, they need a siege mentality, to be soldiers, to fight for what they believe. Forget what Jesus says, what does the good doctor say? I think from now on I will refer to Dr. Kennedy’s sermons as “speeches”.
  • - By pinning almost everything evil on evolution, he took the church off the hook. Never mind that many Christians in the 19th century used the Bible to justify slavery. Never mind that the same tactics were used against civil rights. Never mind that much of our world’s bloodshed has been justified in God’s name. Instead of turning inward and righting some of the Church’s past sins and teaching his viewers how to make sure they’re not repeated, he simply runs with an arrogant attitude that he’s right and the world is wrong, and we must fight it. I’m sorry, but God is perfect. We’re not, even those who attend church. We’re not above the world; conversely, though we’re not to be of the world, we’re apart of it, and we’re to spread God’s Good News.

I didn’t find any Good News in today’s speech.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home