Moral Contradictions

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

A glimpse into instinctual humanity

Unfortunately my city (technically not our jurisdiction, Virginia's cities are independent from counties, for those who care) made national news, yet not for a good reason. For weeks we had been hearing about Henrico County Public Schools selling 1000 used iBooks for $50. This caught the attention of folks from as far as Toronto and Florida who wanted one. After several criticisms, officials decided to limit the sale to county residents and sell the computer at the Richmond International Raceway to accomodate the crowd.

Wow. Someone dropped the ball and didn't think the process through, despite obvious signs the sale would be extremely popular.

The sale was supposed to start at 9 but started at 7 because over 5500 showed up. The line was "open" as no barricades were formed. The front of the line was held up by one narrow gate and guarded by only 4 or 5 officers. Once the gates were open, folks from the back ran up and crushed anybody in their way. Eventually over 70 police officers including 20 in riot gear were called along with over 20 fire personnel.

Jesse Sandler said he was one of the people pushing forward, using a folding chair he had brought with him to beat back people who tried to cut in front of him.

"I took my chair here and I threw it over my shoulder and I went, 'Bam,'" the 20-year-old said nonchalantly, his eyes glued to the screen of his new iBook, as he tapped away on the keyboard at a testing station.

"They were getting in front of me and I was there a lot earlier than them, so I thought that it was just," he said.

Um... how many people had to read that part of the article more than once?

Seventeen were injured with 4 needing to go to the hospital. One lady urinated on herself to avoid giving up her spot. Many folks who arrived early didn't receive a computer. Chaos. iRiot. iRage. iOurSocietyIsGoingDownTheTubesFasterThanJamesDobsonDissingBillFristAndCallingTomDelay.

Yep, this example proves that abortion and homosexuality will be the downfall of our society. (<-- sarcasm for those who don't get my attempt at humor)

I'm glad my wife and I are leap-frogging over the county in our move from within city limits to a mile from the raceway and Henrico over to Hanover County. Maybe we'll be amongst more sane and compassionate people than the ones on the other side of the border.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home