Moral Contradictions

Monday, October 17, 2005

Utter nonsense

I heard this story on the radio on the way to work... wow. One letter, from a home-schooled child's parent (I repeat - home-schooled), caused the C.D. Hylton High School band to drop Charlie Daniel's "Devil Went Down to Georgia" from it's program because of separation of church and state issues.

If that is indeed true, this is absurd.

I've read people say "how can you be a moderate?". This is how you can be a moderate - the answer is somewhere between the two extremes.

2 Comments:

  • From a fundamentalist perspective: I've been concerned about the Charlie Daniels's band since the release of "Uneasy Rider." One line in that song reads, "With one drunk chick and some fellow with green teeth," which seems to glorify both drunkeness and tooth care deficiencies. Not that there's anything overtly satanic here, but when bands start reveling in tooth decay, I suspect the involvement of the Evil One.

    Now, sure, Charlie Daniels would have us believe that "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" is nothing but a bit of tongue-in-cheek cultural mythology, but I'm not buying it.

    And while we're on the topic, I'm also concerned about Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels's "Devil in a Blue Dress," which is not only clearly satanic but also introduces the theme of transvetisism, since we all know that the Evil One is male.

    By Blogger cks, at Monday, October 17, 2005 2:26:00 PM  

  • Don't get me started about Elvis and his dancing... that'll be a whole other blog. I will prove my point with the fact that if you move the letters around, his name spells Evil S, which can only mean Evil Satan!

    By Blogger Nathan, at Monday, October 17, 2005 3:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home