Moral Contradictions

Monday, November 21, 2005

Rev. Falwell misses the point...

In trying to sum up this article, I feel like whatever I would type, I would fall short. In "Falwell fighting for holy holiday", (found via Raw Story) he, his church and other like-minded organizations are preparing to sue retailers and schools for muzzling the words "Merry Christmas". Please read the article to fully grasp this nonsense.

On one hand, I appreciate the recognization of our ever-increasing "PC" society - I can understand the frustration that ostensibly is providing the impetus for this massive movement.

On the other hand, I'm troubled by the lack of depth in this endeavor. By only scratching at the surface and focusing on words and terms, they're only attacking the symptoms. Without working against the underlying reasons behind the secularization, they are implicitly endorsing the commericialization of Christmas.

When I visit Target between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I'm more disgusted and troubled by the sheer insanity and rudeness amongst the shoppers - the quest to get the perfect gift, the emotions flaring over long lines... not whether or not the girl at checkout says "Happy Holidays" or "Merry Christmas".

How about making an effort for Christian parents to limit what they buy their children? My wife and I know a couple that only buys their kids 3 gifts each because they want to ensure that they understand what Christmas is truly about. My wife and I are seriously thinking about implementing that method when the time comes.

So in the end, I would like to be wished Merry Christmas, but I believe the muscle being placed into this effort could better be targeted against the crux of the issue as opposed to its outward results. No real change will be affected should the Falwell-ites achieve their goal - instead they will be able to bask in the glory of their petty victory, without any accountability or call of its members or the church at large to think of harder, more sacrificial, and more meaningful solutions.

1 Comments:

  • So much for "Love your foes." Jesus must have said "Boycott and sue your foes."

    I say if they want to take Christmas, they can take Easter too... What Target has to do with the birth of Christ anyway I'll never know.

    Thanks for posting this.

    By Blogger R.J. Adams, at Monday, November 28, 2005 4:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home