Moral Contradictions

Monday, March 06, 2006

Any ideas?

I knew when I left college I wasn't done w/ graduate school - I just didn't know what to study. I was accepted in two very nice schools for a degree that only touched on my "geeky" gifts, but I felt like the time was off. Obviously this blog serves as an outlet for a large part of my interests, which are derived from my love of history, government, religion, and general geekiness. In the last year this blog has served as a work in progress of the thoughts swimming through my mind and heart.

Right now I have a very strong inclination to study Christian and Baptist history - I've always been curious about the subject but merely thought it was a 'hobby' that I would satisfy with an occasional book. However, God has kept nagging me, and lately some thoughts have come together to cause me to seriously think about school again.

I know that that past defines us, yet those living now define the past. For instance, as Dr. Sherman (and many others) say: the more things change the more they stay the same. What are our Baptist roots? How did this great idea start? How does our beginning apply today? Are current Baptist organizations actually Baptist, at least compared to how we began? Moreover, if I answer these questions for myself, what sort of role could I fill to share the knowledge that I learn?

At this point I don't feel called to be a pastor or minister - however I feel like I could be an asset to the church at large in a different capacity. I'm not sure I need or am supposed to go for an M.Div, although from living vicariously through my wife's current seminary education, I feel like I would learn a ton and enjoy those classes. I discovered a degree called a Master of Theological Studies with a concentration in Christian History. It's 48 hours instead of the usual 90 for an M.Div. Do I go that route, or go for an M.Div with a concentration in historical and theological studies?

I kind of want to stay in the "Baptist world"... yet Union Presbyterian School of Christian Education here in Richmond offers the MTS with the Christian History concentration, and I haven't found its equivalent yet... Any ideas of schools or programs that could help me down this vague road that I'm trying to stumble down?

/Eh, if anything this helps me to visualize some of the thoughts I've been having. A pre-emptive thank you for any thoughts or directions.... :) Hehe... I just want someone to tell me what to do!

8 Comments:

  • Nathan,

    go with your heart. follow the passion. you'll never regret it.

    when i retired from the FD i was casting about for 'the next step' and after my BA in Fire Adminstration i followed my heart and focused on my passion of education - particulary distance education for adults.

    righteous is righteous.

    i'm a UU and my wife Beth and i are taking a Spanish Class at the Lutheran church (it's a collaborative thing). at 59 it's a struggle as i've never learned a foreign language (and burned a few brain cells along the way). but we're making noticable progress. and i was remarking to Beth on the way home last night.

    "What a joy to take this difficult class from such a passionate, caring teacher. we're learning in spite of all the things aganst us."

    in fact we're now on a mission (little m) to get involved at church with a project where we can use our new language skills) that was not apparent when we started.

    passion is a profound motivator. and some times the passion leads to the next step...

    your blog, BTW, is a daily read for me.

    ¬°Que tengas suerte! (good luck)

    b

    BTW... i always tell my students that 'luck' is the intersection of preparation and opportunity.

    By Blogger bruce roemmelt, at Tuesday, March 07, 2006 10:08:00 AM  

  • Bruce,

    Thank you for your encouragement and kind words. I do wish I could call you Delegate Bruce, and maybe I one day can, as my prayer would be to run out of material for this blog. :)

    Nathan

    By Blogger Nathan, at Tuesday, March 07, 2006 11:07:00 AM  

  • Nathan,

    Are you sure you're not called to be a pastor? Hmm....

    If not a pastor, then maybe a teacher?

    Whatever you decide, I know it will be the right choice. Following your heart is probably the best advice anyone could give.

    By Blogger Marty, at Tuesday, March 07, 2006 11:47:00 PM  

  • Again Marty, you scare me. :) However, no matter how many times I tell myself I don't want to be a pastor/minister, that thought doesn't go away. I've calmed myself by knowing that there are Ministers of Education.

    All that to say, I'm still really confused, but the good thing is that I have some time to sort it all out. I think God and I need to have a long talk, where I do all the listening...

    Thanks again for the encouragement and advice. :)

    By Blogger Nathan, at Wednesday, March 08, 2006 12:54:00 AM  

  • "However, no matter how many times I tell myself I don't want to be a pastor/minister, that thought doesn't go away. I've calmed myself by knowing that there are Ministers of Education."

    The key here is "I don't want"...Nathan, you remind me of Moses. ;)

    By Blogger Marty, at Wednesday, March 08, 2006 11:53:00 AM  

  • Hehe... not sure that's a good thing or not. I'll be on the lookout for flammable vegetation.

    Wow - I never would have thought that I would be thinking about this, if that makes sense. Very scary, but cool. I think I'm starting to come to grips with what's on my heart and in my head, but I still have a lot of praying to do.

    Thanks for keeping me on my toes, Marty. :)

    By Blogger Nathan, at Wednesday, March 08, 2006 4:28:00 PM  

  • Awh..that pic is so cute! Does he look like you feel? It's gonna be ok, you'll figure it all out.

    By Blogger Marty, at Wednesday, March 08, 2006 5:53:00 PM  

  • He's supposed to be smiling, but Blogger's image compression leaves a lot to be desired. I think I have it right now. :)

    By Blogger Nathan, at Wednesday, March 08, 2006 7:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home