Moral Contradictions

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

WJB do-wah?

American politicians who lost the Presidency yet influenced our history have always intrigued me. Henry Clay is an example. However, one person has stood out to me ever since I first read about him: William Jennings Bryan. I think the fact that he ran for president three times and lost during a period of history often rushed by school teachers piqued my interest.

Yet, the reason why he came to mind today is that essentially he was a fundamentalist progressive. In today's political climate that's unfathomable. A quick thought is that the GOP has done a terrific, albeit evil, job of exploiting fear among evangelicals that their faith is under attack, only to go to Washington to vote against their best interests. (See: Kansas, What's the Matter With?)

In today's parlance he would be something akin to an ignorant & bigoted tree-hugger. He definitely breaks the stereotypical mold with which we're familiar.

Thus, I'm going to head out to the bookstore tomorrow to pick up a book released last month by Michael Kazin titled "A Godly Hero: The Life of William Jennings Bryan".

To demonstrate how Bryan's beliefs don't quite work in today's climate, check out this screenshot I nabbed of "People who bought this book also bought".



An attack book on Carter, a book on McCarthy and another on Stalin. Talk about the spectrum.

2 Comments:

  • I heard this book was supposed to be excellent. I am excited to read it myself. I absolutely love your blog, I look for new posts everday :). I too am from Richmond (originally), and have seen the bad side of the Southern Baptists. Keep up the great work.

    -jt <+><

    By Blogger Christiancollegeguy1982, at Thursday, March 09, 2006 10:31:00 AM  

  • Hey ccg, thanks for the compliments. I do apologize when life happens and the blog is untouched for several days, but I'm trying. :)

    I called around town yesterday and finally located a copy, and so far, so good!

    By Blogger Nathan, at Thursday, March 09, 2006 11:04:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home