Moral Contradictions

Monday, April 03, 2006

Cautious exuberance

Tom DeLay's impending resignation should make me quite happy. Here's a man who perverts our common Christian faith to "hammer" his narrow conservative views through the "People's" House.

- His corrupt and dishonest tactics brought shame on our country's heritage and besmerched those unique values purchased by our soldier's blood and sacrifice.
- He exhibited sheer arrogance in his statements and his dealings.
- He shamelessly enriched his family and friends at taxpayer's expense.
- He championed a daring and unethical scheme to redraw his state's electoral lines - 4 years after the last census - merely for the benefit of his party and not the country.
- He compromised the integrity of his beliefs in his power-drunk quest to ram those beliefs, sullying the democratic practices that America stands on.

In effect, he has brought more harm to this country despite his best intentions.

The depressing part is I haven't even scratched the surface of his career in DC. Even more depressing is that he still has a cadre of Christians who buy into him being some sort of "Christian Statesmen". I still cannot reconcile the Bible's teachings with their beliefs, of which I feel derives from this world and are not wholly divinely inspired.

"I just felt like I didn't want to risk the seat and that I can do more on the outside of the House than I can on the inside right now." (CNN)

That to me reads "Have you seen how much power and influence K Street now has? Plus I'll make tons more money there than I ever did in Congress!".

He said he will change his legal residence to his condominium in Alexandria, Va., from his modest two-story home on a golf course here in the 22nd District of Texas. "I become ineligible to run for election if I'm not a resident of the state of Texas," he said, turning election law to his purposes for perhaps on last time. (Time)

That tells me "I'll still be able to take the Yellow Line in to DC!".

From a recent experience, I've learned that folks who view the world through power don't immediately give that worldview up once they leave a particular situation. My limited experience and old-fashioned gumption tells me that he'll seek out and find a place where he can still wheel and deal and advance his agenda.

I hope I'm wrong - I pray I'm wrong, but unfortunately I feel we haven't heard the last from The Hammer.

4 Comments:

  • No we haven't. You can take that to the bank.

    Time reports:

    *Taking defiant swipes at "the left" and the press, he said he feels "liberated" and vowed to pursue an aggressive speaking and organizing campaign aimed at promoting foster care, Republican candidates and a CLOSER CONNECTION between religion and government.*

    He will probably be able to accomplish this. I doubt he will spend much time in jail. I certainly hope I'm proven wrong, however.

    By Blogger Marty, at Tuesday, April 04, 2006 12:28:00 PM  

  • DeLay blamed "liberal Democrats" for his downfall. As I said over at Emmaus, I'm kind of cheesed at DeLay's tactic of blaming the Democrats for his sins. I was planning on using that same defense as an excuse for my next big sin! In fact, I was hoping that liberal Democrats might break into my house, tie me up and force me to take bribes and launder money. But now if I try to use that line everyone will say, "You're just copying Tom!" Maybe I could use the excuse that evil villains are attacking my Christianity and... Oh, wait... Tom's already used that one, too. Thanks a lot, Hammer

    By Blogger Dr. Mike Kear, at Tuesday, April 04, 2006 1:14:00 PM  

  • Hey Mike, look at the bright side - if what he did was in fact Christ-like, then you wouldn't have to repent those sins! All you have to do is smugly declare how much your faith guides your life, and everyone will give you a pass! :)

    And Marty, I hope he goes to PMITA prison, but yeah, I doubt it too.

    By Blogger Nathan, at Tuesday, April 04, 2006 1:39:00 PM  

  • Good point, Nathan!

    By Blogger Dr. Mike Kear, at Tuesday, April 04, 2006 2:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home