Moral Contradictions

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Am I the only one...

...who senses that there are elements within the Southern Baptist Convention that want everyone who identifies with the SBC to think and believe exactly the same?

My wife and I are friends with an incredibly sweet retired missionary couple - they're almost like grandparents - and we both highly respect them for their wisdom and witness. We had them at the house for dinner a few nights ago and naturally talk arrived at all the issues facing the International Mission Board and the SBC.

Many missionaries were forced out if they refused to sign the 2000 Baptist Faith and Message. Thursday night, they remarked that if you can hire or fire someone over a statement, that's a creed. Luckily they were allowed to retire without having to make that decision - they are very conservative, but also Baptist. The wife once exclaimed "I don't believe in women deacons yet I'm the vice-chair of our church's deacon board!"

For folks who do agree with the 2000 Baptist Faith and Message, which drastically decreased the size of the "tent" or "umbrella" that traditionally covered many types of Baptists, apparently that's just not enough. The monster is attacking its own.

Wade Burleson is the current target of the conformists/fundamentalists in the SBC. An article by the Associated Baptist Press outlining the current attack against the IMB trustee says:

"What seems to concern you is the idea of working with a fellow IMB trustee who believes the Bible, but has a different interpretation on this issue on which the Baptist Faith and Message remains silent." Ultimately, Burleson said, he doesn't want to focus on "non-essential issues that have nothing to do with the gospel of Jesus Christ."

He stated he hoped to work with Curtis in the future, saying "I'm hoping you can find it in your heart to work and cooperate with others who don't see eye-to-eye with you on issues [on] which the Baptist Faith and Message remains silent. I, and others like me, look forward to working with you."

I'm not sure how one believes they can bring there ego with them to the foot of the cross.

1 Comments:

  • I left the Baptist church and joined the Methodist church about 4 years ago. Oddly enough they are a creedal church, yet allow for freedom of interpretation. I have found it to be a place where I can live out my faith without condemnation. Ministers are called to a "free" pulpit as well.

    By Blogger Marty, at Wednesday, May 10, 2006 4:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home