Moral Contradictions

Friday, May 12, 2006

Firetruck baptisms

Finally Paige Patterson and I agree on something:

Cole and others said many conservatives are also upset about Springdale's evangelism techniques, such as the fire-truck baptistry that is part of its children's ministry.

The unique baptistry, created by Disney designer Bruce Barry, is part of a $270,000 high-tech project for the church's children's worship area that includes video games, a light show, music videos and a bubble machine, according to Christianity Today. When a child is baptized in the fire-truck-shaped baptistry, sirens blare and confetti is fired out of cannons.

"Putting a talking head in front of kids for an hour doesn't work," the children's minister told the magazine. "This is a visual generation. We need to use technology to the max."

"This is blasphemous!" said SBC conservative leader Paige Patterson, president of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, when told of the practice.


I wonder if I can get media credentials to Greensboro? Man oh man will it be interesting.

3 Comments:

  • Nathan,

    I have on five occasions attempted to leave a comment but in five attempts, have never been able to get registered. I love your blog but it is frustrating that I cannot comment.

    It finally appears that I did something right this time and I hope this gets through.

    The firetruck baptism is especially funny as we in the Lutheran Church used it as a major slam against the anabaptists. We always said they should drive down the streets with a fire truck and spray whoever they wanted.

    By Blogger Jon E, at Saturday, May 13, 2006 1:45:00 AM  

  • Jon, thanks for reading - I'm not the biggest fan of Blogger, but it (mostly) works.

    I look forward to comments (that work) from you!

    By Blogger Nathan, at Saturday, May 13, 2006 4:45:00 PM  

  • Hey,
    I really enjoy your blog! Thanks for your honest heart and truthfulness, it is refreshing to hear someone be real. Its cool to read about real people who serve Jesus.

    I am a musician, and I would be honored if you would check out my music. All music on my site is free for download. Anyway, don’t want to be a pest, I just thought that I’d share.

    Thanks,
    -Sean
    _____________________
    www.SeanDietrich.com
    “All my music is free.”

    By Blogger Barefoot Guy, at Thursday, July 06, 2006 2:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home