Moral Contradictions

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Should I be worried?

Don't get me wrong, I love this country - I think the Constitution is brilliant. Sure our country has done some not-so-hot stuff, but what's great is that we still have the best thing around.

Part of my patriotism stems from my respect of the Constitution and how one 200 year old document can hold so much sway in contemporary society.

Thus, when I see a headline that reads: "NSA has massive database of Americans' phone calls", I get a bit worried.

Why? Because I was taught that the Constitution protected us against these sorts of intrusions. If they're necessary and if it's patriotic, I don't see how it would aid the terrorists to tell us that they're conducting such an invasive and widespread operation.

I wonder why they didn't tell us about the program... hmm... could it be because of this?

In 1975, a congressional investigation revealed that the NSA had been intercepting, without warrants, international communications for more than 20 years at the behest of the CIA and other agencies. The spy campaign, code-named "Shamrock," led to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA), which was designed to protect Americans from illegal eavesdropping.

Enacted in 1978, FISA lays out procedures that the U.S. government must follow to conduct electronic surveillance and physical searches of people believed to be engaged in espionage or international terrorism against the United States. A special court, which has 11 members, is responsible for adjudicating requests under FISA.

So FISA was created to protect us, yet the government feels like they are above using this protection, bringing us back to square one?

I'm sorry, but if you have to break some of the highest law to uphold it... I have a problem with that.

If this is supposed to make us feel safer - it's not working.

(h/t to Streak)

Update: Qwest is truly the patriotic company here. Read this post at Unclaimed Territory for analysis on how Qwest has upheld the Constitution, while this President and his administration break the oath taken first in 2001 and again in 2005.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home