Moral Contradictions

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Do-nothingers

I watched the Colbert Report last night and shook my head - I was waiting to see if Crooks and Liars would post the video before I wrote about what I watched, and I was not disappointed.

Colbert interviewed Congressman Lynn Westmoreland, a freshman Republican from Georgia. He is one of two representatives (the other a Democrat) who have not introduced any bills into this Congress. None. Zero. Zip. Nada. Zilch......

He has, however, co-sponsored a bill on the Ten Commandments and believes that everyone should know them and be reminded of them by having them in courthouses and public squares.

Summary of the dialogue:

Colbert: You have not introduced a single piece of legislation since you entered Congress.

Westmoreland: That's correct.

Colbert: This has been called a do nothing Congress. Is it safe to say you're the do nothingest?

Westmoreland: I, I, ..Well there's one other do nothiner. I don't know who that is, but they're a Democrat.

Colbert: What can we get rid of to balance the budget?

Westmoreland: The Dept. of Education.

Colbert: What are the Ten Commandments?

Westmoreland: You mean all of them?--Um... Don't murder. Don't lie. Don't steal Um... I can't name them all.


The congressman truly did not come off well. Visit C&L for the video.

Perhaps if this Congress started governing our nation instead of pandering for votes from the Christianista Right, maybe DC can start pulling it's head out of, well, you know where, and address other issues that have strong moral components that affect millions of Americans everyday.

Heh... call me a dreamer.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home