Moral Contradictions

Friday, June 30, 2006

More on Obama

I must admit that I did not read the entire speech by Obama, but the buzz around it has compelled me to do so. This quote as editorialized in the Washington Post struck out to me and made me want to read the entire thing.

On the matter of church-state separation, Obama doesn't propose some contrived balancing act but embraces religion's need for independence from government. In a direct challenge to "conservative leaders," he argued that "they need to understand the critical role that the separation of church and state has played in preserving not only our democracy, but the robustness of our religious practice."

"Folks tend to forget," he continued, "that during our founding, it wasn't the atheists or the civil libertarians who were the most effective champions of the First Amendment," but "persecuted minorities" such as Baptists "who didn't want the established churches to impose their views.


That's why I'm so passionate about learning our history as Baptists and how that applies to today's issues. I believe the general term is "Christian ethics", but more in line with the old Christian Life Commission and the current Baptist Center for Ethics as opposed to the Ethics and Religious Liberty Comission of the Southern Baptist Convention.

I can't wait to start seminary - now I just gotta get the money lined up...

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home