Moral Contradictions

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Seminary watch...

Here's my current thinking/feeling/etc... maybe it would be good for me to look at non-SBC/CBF divinity schools. I got excited about Gardner-Webb, but am very nervous about the immediate future of the North Carolina state convention as they appear headed towards a showdown between moderates and fundamentalists, with the latter assuming control.

After talking with a professor from McAfee at the BHHS conference, I'm considering them, especially after he said I stood a good chance to earn a full scholardship. The only other CBF related school that's in the running is Duke.

In the American Baptist world, I'm interested in Andover-Newton. Both A-N and Duke are pricey, yet I don't want that to be the factor.

A good friend and spiritual mentor encouraged me to look at some Methodist and Presbyterian schools, yet I don't know too much about any of them.

I can almost see myself staying in town and going to BTSR or even Union, but I dunno.

All that to say - has anyone heard of anything about these schools that I should probably know?

Oy - quite overwhelming.

6 Comments:

  • I'm praying for you Nathan.

    By Blogger Marty, at Thursday, June 15, 2006 10:53:00 PM  

  • One thing you might need to know about United Methodists. I've only been one for about 4 years, but there is something very familiar at work....The "Confessing Movement"..check it out. They are moving to take control. Dejavu.

    By Blogger Marty, at Thursday, June 15, 2006 11:00:00 PM  

  • I'll have to find out what Marty knows that I don't. I've been a Methodist for about 35 years.

    By Blogger Granny, at Friday, June 16, 2006 3:12:00 AM  

  • Thanks Marty...

    I read somewhere that pretty much most of the mainline churches have some sort of fundamentalist movement in them. Just depends on how strong they are along with the setup of the institution and how easy/difficult it is to takeover.

    By Blogger Nathan, at Friday, June 16, 2006 12:41:00 PM  

  • I actually live in a huge apartment complex across the street from McAfee. Two of my bestfriends just graduated from McAfee. I also played Doubles Tennis with multiple faculty members at McAfee throughout the year (Doc Hollingsworth, Loyd Allen, and Graham Walker).

    You may have heard of Doc. I think his job is to network and recruit. It's a great school. They don't seem to push you in one theological direction. Most students tend to be theologically moderate, however, there are also liberals and liberal-leaning folks too.

    They have an academic track which allows you to take a few elective courses at other local Seminaries such as Emory's Candler. McAfee has a beautiful location - about a 20 minute drive from downtown. The neighborhoods around McAfee are very safe as well. Good school.

    By Blogger Big Daddy Weave, at Friday, June 16, 2006 4:41:00 PM  

  • Thanks BDW - I met Loyd Allen at the BHHS conference the other week and he was the one that got me thinking about McAfee. My question to him was how connected is the school w/ the Center of Baptist Studies in Macon, and what he said gave the impression that it was pretty strong.

    Thanks for the info about the neighborhood too - that's the biggest unknown when coming to a new area.

    I might pick your brain down the line as decision time nears. Thanks again!

    By Blogger Nathan, at Friday, June 16, 2006 5:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home