Moral Contradictions

Sunday, June 11, 2006

What I missed...

One tornado, seven states, and 2000 miles later, I'm back in town and am now catching up on the over 700 blog entries awaiting me. Here's a brief roundup of stories I've touched on or would like to put my two-cent opinion in:

Gay marriage ban fails in Senate: This was predicted, merely pandering to the religious right in hope for votes, and even surprising... despite winning 4 seats since the last vote, the GOP only gained one additional vote and fell short of the expected majority with a 49-48 vote. If Congress is truly concerned about affecting change in the country, there are countless and more pragmatic ways to go about it - just ask my wife and those folks living in the ghettos of Camden, NJ.

Ann Coulter: Finally the mainstream media is seeing her inner nut-jub. She needs a therapist to explain that everything she thinks on the inside doesn't need to see the light of day.

(Grace) Left Behind
: Mark Carver, business advisor to Left Behind Games and aide to Rick Warren, (the producer of this upcoming gem) resigned his position of business advisor to the gaming company. Very interesting reading.

Roy Moore loses Ala. gubenatorial primary: Again, there's much much more to our faith and how we as Christians are supposed to interact with our society than obsessing over symbols. How many of the homeless do these types of protesters step over to further their cause?

More corruption on the Hill? I'm wondering whether everyone will be de-sensitized as more and more of these stories come out, or if it'll actually have some effect at the ballot box.

Jon Stewart & Gay Marriage: In a debate where Bill Bennet said "Look, it's a debate about whether you think marriage is between a man and a women.", Stewart replies with: "I disagree, I think it's a debate about whether you think gay people are part of the human condition or just a random fetish." I am still forming my opinion on this subject (with no end in sight), but I must say that his quote is compelling.

Finally, the Southern Baptist Convention meets this week in Greensboro, NC. The top positions are now three-way races, a first in years. However, I smile to myself as the current dissenters complain about the very same political and un-Christian tactics employed by the Paige Patterson-types that were used against moderates in the 1980s.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home