Moral Contradictions

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Walking in the light

I grew up learning that as Christians we were to not only be the light, but walk in the light. Our lives were supposed to reflect the love of Jesus.

Sounds pretty simple - hard to live up to? Yes. I'll be the first to admit that it's quite difficult at times. Suppressing carnal instincts, such as expressing choice words for the folks I encounter on I-95, is so tempting, yet we are called to overcome those temptations.

Temptation of money can be difficult too - but still, we need to walk in the light.

Ralph Reed not granting interviews or allowing for even casual encounters with the press smacks of "what is he hiding?". Only everyone knows what's in his dark corner, and are looking for a light to reveal related details.

Honestly - if his boyish good-looks and his Christian Right connections weren't in his favor, the only place in public life he'd occupy would be one of disgrace.

Mr. Reed - for not only Georgia's sake, but for that of all Christians who struggle daily to walk in the light, please step out of the darkness and tell the truth about your dealings with Jack Abramoff, among other dealings. Please honestly tell us that you are not manipulating our common faith for personal gain. To accomplish any of that in the light is simply amazing, and if so, I commend you. Yet, from what little I know about politics, forgive me for being skeptical.

Read a very well-written and researched article about how Reed convinced God to agree with his politics and to where he is today.

6 Comments:

  • I'm sorry but the only person this man conerns himself with is Ralph Reed.

    I've know what he was since the first time he set foot in public. The angelic face can't cover up the lack of a soul.

    By Blogger Granny, at Sunday, July 16, 2006 3:40:00 PM  

  • I hope that GQ article gets reprinted in GA so that the voters will know what kind of person they are dealing with. The man is beyond despicable.

    By Blogger Vivian J. Paige, at Sunday, July 16, 2006 4:15:00 PM  

  • It's certainly interesting that you categorically reject whatever it is Reed has said about it (I don't know), and demand that he tell "the truth." Perhaps he has, and your partisan preferences simply demand that you just don't like "the truth."

    In fairness and the interests of full disclosure, I've known Ralph for nearly twenty years.

    By Blogger James Young, at Sunday, July 16, 2006 10:11:00 PM  

  • I'm a UGA grad and have met Ralph several times during his visits to our campus. Ralph has always been a charmer but never one for Ethics and Honesty. Many UGA Dems love to tell the story about Ralph getting fired from the staff of our student newspaper, the Red & Black, due to plagarism...

    Same ole Ralph...

    By Blogger Big Daddy Weave, at Monday, July 17, 2006 2:02:00 AM  

  • Well James, it's certainly interesting that I often have to restate my original post whenever you comment because what part of 'he isn't granting interviews - what is he hiding?' don't you get?

    Also, in addition to reading my entire post, please read the articles that I link to before commenting - especially if you are for being fair. Additionally, please read all of my other posts about Mr. Reed as I've been following this story for quite some time.

    Maybe if you considered the fact that I just may not be a raving lunatic and that I really don't have a chip on my shoulder, you may be able to fairly assess my points without insulting me or categorically rejecting what I write. You're welcome to comment, but all I ask is for restraint. I'd like to believe that someone can't be this rude all the time, nor would you be as rude and insensitive as you come off if we were having a live conversation. Would you? You're way too defensive, and that's 'certainly interesting' in and of itself.

    I'd like for once to read a comment from you that has some substance behind it, instead of just blind criticism. I'm more than happy for constructive criticism - I never said my opinions were absolute, and I'm open-minded enough to consider the fact that I may just be wrong. I'd expect the same from my readers.

    By Blogger Nathan, at Monday, July 17, 2006 10:06:00 AM  

  • Also James, who are you to lecture me on partisan preferences? You just admitted you "don't know" what Ralph said, not allowing the fact that maybe I have done research. You obviously didn't read the article or any of my other posts.

    Furthermore, my "partisan preferences" are not why I write this blog or on this topic - if you don't understand that, then why do you waste your time over here? If you can't understand that, I'm sorry, but you'd be surprised how I vote - but again, maybe your partisan preferences and the fact that you casually dismiss me will more than likely preclude you from considering that you misjudged me.

    If you cannot comment in a respectful tone and way (no personal insults, read the post, read the articles, consider why I even posted it in the first place) then please save the comments for your own blog.

    By Blogger Nathan, at Monday, July 17, 2006 10:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home