Moral Contradictions

Thursday, August 03, 2006

I'm overwhelmed

Robert Parham over at Ethics Daily correctly notes that the general Baptist blogosphere has been relatively silent regarding the action between Israel and Hezbollah. Near the end of the article he hits upon a point that largely explains why I haven't said too much.

I'm overwhelmed.

I'm overwhelmed by the constant rhetoric of the Bush Administration, I'm overwhelmed by the rhetoric of Israel and those that support them, and I'm overwhelmed by the overall dynamics of the Middle East. I'm also overwhelmed at how the Administration presses on no matter what - even if that means going against the majority of Americans.

I'm also overwhelmed with the fact that this fighting seems to trump that of Iraq or about the developments regarding torture. I'm overwhelmed at how Iraq is now "old news". I'm also overwhelmed by how this got started in the first place. Saddam had one good thing going for us - he and his Sunni government kept Iran at bay and isolated. Now, gun-barrel democracy swept in a Shia majority in Iraq that likes Iran more than us, creating what is being called a "Shia Crescent" arcing through Syria and to Hezbollah. Iran was forced into a corner regarding its nuclear program and decided to play its newfound hand.

Thus, I'm overwhelmed at the predictableness of this, and I'm overwhelmed at how every major crisis the Bush Administration seems to touch (Iraq, Katrina, Lebanon) too many innocent civilians die.

Away from the war, I'm overwhelmed at arguments made against homosexual marriage that state the majority of Americans want it banned and calls for the following of democtratic measures, yet told that even though 70% of Americans support stem cell research, it shouldn't be legal.

I know this doesn't excuse my not writing about these issues, but really, who's listening? The Administration lives in its own theorized world where the term "consistent argument" has no meaning. Maybe I should be ashamed at feeling this beaten down, but I'm sick of our leaders disregarding the majority of Americans.

Mr. President, remember, 51% of Americans voted you in - why don't you listen to those instead of the 10-15% or whatever of "Religious Right" folks that made up your voting bloc?

Anyways, what are some things I have been following?

Torture: Bush, showing what a good Christian man he is, along with an American, decides to follow the Supreme Court rulings regarding prisoner rights. HA. He finds a way around it that works like this: "We know you’re guilty. We can’t tell you why, but there’s a guy, we can’t tell you who, who told us something. We can’t tell you what, but you’re guilty."

Guantanamo Bay Prison: President Bush, responding to international and domestic pressure, decides to close the infamous prison. HA. Halliburton (surprise surprise) built a 200 bed maximum security permanent prison. Interesting that I had to go to a international source for that one.

Perhaps that's the idea - overwhelm us and thus silence us, allowing unchecked control. The overwhelming part has worked, and the Bush Administration hates media that doesn't suck up to it (New York Times)... will they silence us? I pray not.

1 Comments:

  • It's easy to be overwhelmed, but some of us refuse to be silent. When 9/11 happened, I knew things were going to be bad. How bad, I didn't know, but I immediately knew that this administration would try to take us back to McCarthyism. So, right then, I promised myself that, whatever else, I would not be silenced. I did not want my children and grandchildren to come to me after the madness has stopped and say, as in the aftermath of Nazi Germany, "Why didn't you try to stop this, Dad?"
    So, I haven't been succeeding, but I have kept trying. If all we can do is let the history books say that not all were silent, then we can do that.

    By Blogger Michael Westmoreland-White, at Friday, August 04, 2006 10:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home